Wednesday 2 January 2008

Feeling Hat, Hat, Hat

After the civility of Christmas, what could follow but a huge warehouse party blowout for NYE? I'd never been 'out' out on New Year's Eve before, preferring the relative inexpense and sanity of a good house party. However, with no work on the 1st, and an offer of free guestlist to an East London party in a couple of astroturf pitches off Liverpool St., I couldn't resist. A brilliant time was had, I wore some of my fantastic new sale bargains (Judy Blame for Superfine tshirt, narrow black Energie jeans) and a jester mask which I bought for a masked ball in Milan. Complete partymode then took over until my mate Martin and I stumbled onto the tube at 9.30am. The only things that I felt alive in were my sunglasses and this woolly hat. It's now my second (the other one was lost on a video shoot), and from that Temple of Style, Burton. Its lovely and warm, and the peak keeps rain off my glasses. The wool itself is a lovely cableknit, and I think that it's an ideal winter hat - cosy but not too warm, decorative but not novelty. As has been noted by several of my friends and fellow bloggers, men's hats seem to have died a death. And though this is not exactly Jean-Paul Belmondo's fedora, the peak is a start. One of my older uni lecturers pulled off a lovely fedora with a navy raincoat, which is a look I aspire to, and as the year goes on, I think I will be on the hunt for an appropriate hat to see me through the warmer months. For now though, this is going everywhere with me. Other Staples this week include:
Tiger of Sweden menswear
Taittinger champagne
d_store in Leeds
Sale black patent leather ankle boots (as inspire by StyleSalvage)
Takeaway pizza
The Shins' album, 'Wincing the Night Away'
Quiet time at work

3 comments:

Jasper Rosenau said...

I will only be seen in a Woodrow & Sons top hat nowadays. Good brim keeps the rain off of my spectacles :)

Anonymous said...

I'm delighted to see a fellow blogger appreciating simplicity.

DCB.

Style Salvage Steve said...

The apparent death (or maybe it is just a coma) of male hat wearing is a tremendous shame. Football ground terrace images of the 1950s and later are full of men wearing hats, during the Victorian and Edwardian eras all men wore hats of some description dependent upon rank in society. Now men who wear hats are derided within society, a laughing stock...even the underclass have seemingly abandoned baseball caps adornment. A campaign to bring back hat wearing amongst men (and even women) should be launched immediately.